Friday 22 September 2017

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF WHEN OTHERS DONT

After a successful marketing workshop yesterday,  I have a message for girls and young ladies that are just starting out in a career.  I couldnt help but think about my life journey to date and all the incidents that could have stopped me from where I was going. You've got to believe in yourself even when others don't.  


RiRi  sassy young girl 5 year old, bold and confident until...
My story is that after doing secondary school in Nigeria and returning back to the UK in my teens, my teachers didn't believe in my ability.  I was even advised to attend learning support classes in English while doing A levels. I was the laughing stock of my peers because of my accent and I was trying to re-adjust culturally into a system that I had been away from, for 4 years. If the truth be told, after a few lessons, I stopped attending the class because the teacher was patronizing and spoke to me like someone who didn't understand English. I was determined to prove these teachers wrong.


I passed my A Levels with an A grade in one subject but because of my teachers doubts I hadnt even considered applying for university.  I spent 5 years of my early adult life working in a bank before deciding for myself that I could get into university and I did.  

At University, I wasnt there to play. I was very focused and came out with an Upper class 2.1 and eventually landed myself a job in Marketing and Communications for one of the best broadcasting organisations in the world, the BBC, but it didn't stop the issues of others not believing in me. At some point I moved departments. I had a female boss that took joy in making my life miserable. She just didnt like me. She even advised me to quit my job and go into retail. Despite her bullying and put downs, I didn't take her advice and carried on working for the BBC for 8 years in marketing.  

Roll on to present day, I've been running my own Marketing and Events Consultancy here in Lagos for nearly 6 years. As a business owner you have to believe in your value. I have met people along the way that have tried to dim my value. But I learnt a while ago that nobody can dim your value without your permission. You have to believe in your God given abilities. 


I hope this message inspires our girls to never give up on themselves.  You have all it takes. You just have to believe.

With love Aunty RiRi. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment