Monday 1 May 2017

IGBA NKWU Part 2 - FINALLY

I guess it’s fair to say that Ive become somewhat of an Igba Nkwu expert (Igbo Traditional Wine Carrying) after the successful completion of ours on the 22 April 2017. 

Meet the newly Trados 

For the background behind why we did the Igba Nkwu after nearly 18 years of marriage and three beautiful children, please click this link for the story.


ON THE DAY

I was excited yet nervous about my Igba nkwu. So many things appeared to be working against a successful event. I realized on the day that I was no longer in control and I needed to put my total trust in God. 

SERIOUS FLOODING

The first sign of stress was in the morning of the Igba nkwu. A serious thunderstorm happened the night before which left our compound flooded. With fast thinking from my brother Stanley, he arranged for a supplier to drain out the water and our compound was dry again. No sign of flooding. In fact by afternoon, we had a serious heat wave.
My Big Brother - stepping in for our late Father
SETTING THE SCENE 

I appreciate the way the new generation have made traditional weddings more funky. This gives our younger couples an opportunity to be fully involved and learn more about culture and custom. Being an event planner myself and coming from a media background, I wanted a playful traditional scene so decided to join in the fun, in a small way.


Created and designed by Zee Events

Tasted as nice as it looked


THE NEGOTIATIONS

Before any merriment could start, my husband and his people had to finish off what they started 18 years ago. After much discussion, my people were finally satisfied.


My husband enjoyed this part 

MY FIRST DRESS

After 18 years of waiting to conclude the traditional marriage rites, it was important for me to dress as much as possible as an Igbo Bride. I did my research and this was my final look.


Proudly Igbo

Time to greet my guests


SEARCHING FOR MY GROOM

After attending a few trados and watching Ada Ada by Flavour on Youtube lol, I was actually looking forward to searching for my groom. I had a really great time teasing my guests as I searched for my love. My dress was designed with love by Nkechi Abii.

Let the search begin

My sweet mum flew in from London


Such sweetness at our Igba nkwu including my Mother inlaw and her sister

OUR BLESSINGS

After I discovered my groom hiding among his friends, it was now time to introduce him to my kindred - officially

Here you  go Husband


FINALLY


We had a good size of guests arrive for the event including Boss Lady, Ifeoma Okoye Agbasi one of our admin members from Raising Confidence Girls Initiative. Its a movement that is dear to my heart. 

Ifeoma representing Raising Confident Girls


For more about our movement click the link
RAISING CONFIDENT GIRLS


OUR NOLLYWOOD STYLE PHOTOSHOOT

It was such a perfect trado but we couldn’t really end without a Nollywood style photo shoot led by our photographer Francis Ikwuegbu - Fara. We had fun taking these. Here's a peak at one of them.


Photo Credit by Francis Ikwuegbu



IN MEMORY OF AUSTIN

This whole event took place to coincide and honour my late father Austin Anukem's one year memorial which took place the day before. I am confident that he is resting in perfect peace Amen.


My Late Father - Always in my heart

Igbo culture is beautiful and so are Igbo traditional weddings. Nigerian culture and custom is very rich throughout  the country and I look forward to attending several traditional weddings that are in the pipeline. Some that should have been conducted a long time ago lol, like mine. (wink)

So that’s the end of my igba nkwu story. No plans for ejeme (twins) a boy and girl like in Ada Ada Flavour video. We have our hands full with three, but you never know... (LOL)

Thank you for stopping by and feel free to comment or share my post.

All Glory to God...

View Traditional Wedding Trailer



Click here to view Part 1
Igba Nkwu - PART ONE





No comments:

Post a Comment